Monday, June 20, 2011

a step in the right direction

So, you may have noticed over there in the side bar that I have a new little section called "Recipes by Category." This is, for now, as close as it gets to a Recipe Index. Eventually, some day, when I am a more perfect human and my life is so organized it looks like a window display at the Container Store (does any one else go in there and think "if I could just spend a couple grand here my whole life would improve exponentially"?) anyways...where was I. Ah yes, the list of recipes. So when I started this list/database/organizational widget (several months ago), I had a staggering number of categories. Like way too many it was annoying. So, what you see here is a list of categories that makes sense in my head and encompasses as much as it possibly can. I do realize that making sense in my head may not help you all that much, but this is a nice baby step in the right direction.

I hope, eventually, to lay out some different pages, including a proper "about me" where I hilariously explain who I be and what makes my world go round. I also would like to have a proper list of every recipe by title and maybe even get them to a printer friendly format. We'll see. Though judging by how long it took me to get this up here, I'd say the aliens and global warming will have us captured/eradicated before that actually happens, but I'm hopeful. Who knows? Maybe I'll win a gift certificate to the Container Store or something and my whole life will change.

You will still have to scroll through a LOT of my fart jokes and sentimental stories to get to the good stuff. Also, the categories aren't perfect but I think they cover the major groups. There's "Beverages, Adult and Otherwise" which means drinks, dummies. There's "Starters, Sides and Snacks" where you will find side dishes, appetizers and any little munchies that did not fit into a different category. You'll find "Soups, Salads and Sandwiches" which may be my favorite "s" alliteration trifecta of all time and would be the place to go if you're looking for lunch. "Sweets and Carbs" means any dessert or bread-like thing I've ever featured on here. "Main Dishes" means they're suitable to take center stage at your next meal; and "Vegetarian/ Healthy" are not, as you'll see mutually exclusive. Some things are pretty healthy but not at all vegetarian like say, steamed littlenecks or a soup where an optional inclusion is to start with prosciutto. And some things are vegetarian and completely NOT healthy (mac and cheese would fall squarely into this sub category). And finally, a personal favorite, I have included the "Let's Party" section. Which should, now that I think about it, definitely have an exclamation point because really Let's Party! Here, I've tagged any recipes that are fit for entertaining whether they be quick, easy appetizers, feeding a crowd the easy way or some good old fashioned hooch concoctions. So it's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction and I hope you like it. Let me know what you think, or if you have any doable suggestions for improvement.

xo, jess

P.S. I went to the BEACH this weekend and even went in the water. Yay summer! Container Store or not, my life is pretty sweet!

Photobucket

Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.