Friday, June 18, 2010

ingredient WTF: pea tendrils

pea tenders 05

I know what you’re thinking. Jess, WTF are pea tendrils? I thought the same thing, which is why I simply had to buy them and cook them. I had visions of something that would wilt like spinach but be sweet like peas. I thought they were adorable and I was excited (slash slightly scared) to eat something with teensy flowers. I was going to revolutionize your idea of sautéed greens. I was. But I didn’t. Because they’re gross. In case you’re thinking you need to try this for yourself let me save you a step: go outside, grab a handful of grass and munch on it. There. You have experienced pea tendrils and what it’s like to eat them. I had high hopes. I sautéed with garlic and scallions and good butter; I thought they would be a delightful departure from my normal wilted greens. They weren’t. They were almost exactly like munching on grass. The only problem is, I don’t have the four stomachs that I would need to process grass. I’m not a cow or a horse. I am a human female (last time I checked). I can usually muscle through pretty much any vegetable if it has enough salt on it. With pea tendrils, I met my match. Thank god we had some chicken and potatoes. I strongly suggest skipping the greens and making the potatoes.

ROASTED FINGERLING POTATOES

Toss with a generous drizzle of olive oil, plenty of sea salt and cracked black pepper. Roast at 425 for 40 minutes. Check for tenderness. Toss with a pat of butter and some fresh cut herbs. Fin.

Sorry for the truncated post this week. I have been busy finishing yoga school and drinking 7,000 glasses of wine to celebrate finishing yoga school (what, you didn’t know that alcohol and yoga go hand in hand? Apparently they do). I always go nuts during finals week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.