Thursday, June 23, 2011

smooth but tough

Photobucket

This cocktail is a great summer drink. It’s tart, sweet and refreshing, but with a nice amount of boozy bite. The bourbon doesn’t get lost in the lemonade which is a good thing because I believe a cocktail should taste like a cocktail not a sleeve of Sprees. It’s smooth but tough. I think I’ll call it the Burt Reynolds. Because early Burt Reynolds is equal parts lady-friendly sass and mustachioed bad assery. He’s like the kind of dude who will totally get a pedicure with you and somehow make it seem very masculine. Maybe that’s because the vibe I get from him is that if you dared to make fun of him he’d show you the business end of his cowboy boots and fast.

Photobucket

When I originally made this drink I just eyed it out, because of my years of study in the bartending sciences. What I’ve put together here are some approximations, so if it tastes like straight snake poison, adjust the amounts accordingly by adding more lemonade mix and water to thin out the bourbon. I’ve offered two varieties: one round, or a full pitcher. Choose whichever suits your needs.

Photobucket

BURT REYNOLDS (a/k/a Vanilla Bourbon Lemonade)

To make just one round of Burts:

ice
2-3 oz. Bourbon
½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 heaping tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate
water (¾ - 1 cup)

Fill a martini shaker with ice cubes. Pour in bourbon (to measure out ounces just count: three ounces “one, two, three” while a steady stream of booze pours in- not, mind you giant splashes, but a steady stream) if you’re not comfortable or tend to have a heavy pour, use a jigger. Add vanilla and two scoops lemonade. Pour in water (probably about 1-1 ½ cups). Cover the shaker and shake well. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice, garnish with lemon twist or a slice of lemon.

To make a pitcher of Burts:

ice
1 cup bourbon (I like Maker’s Mark)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
half container Frozen lemonade concentrate (Minutemaid)
2-3 cups water, or dilute to taste

Fill a large pitcher with ice. Add bourbon, vanilla and lemonade concentrate. Top with water, stir well. Serve over ice, garnished with lemon twists or slices. If your Burts come out super tart, you could also opt to dilute the drink with a splash or two of soda water. If they come out too weak, add some more bourbon, dummy.

Photobucket

Also, I can’t NOT mention this cake. I saw this last month on Smitten Kitchen and I drooled. I made it Sunday with some fresh, local strawberries. Do yourself a favor and make this cake immediately. The strawberries are perfect right now.

Photobucket

It is sooooooooooo good. It’s also very pretty in a nice rustic way and would make an excellent dessert, OR a great addition to a brunch spread. Do it. DO IT NOW!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Also, do yourself a favor and make homemade whipped cream with it. My corner store only had Cool Whip, which is disgusting and tastes as though it’s actually giving you diseases as you eat it. No ‘fence (as my niece Charlie would say) if you’re a fan. I am decidedly not. Seriously, make this cake, it's silly it's so good.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.