Friday, August 12, 2011

the kind of thing that I'm into

Photobucket

Most people, when they have 15 minutes to kill at their house would pick up a magazine, clean up a bit or watch a little tube, I pickle onions, because that’s the kind of thing that I’m into. These bad boys come together quick and they taste amazing. I must admit I underestimated them at first blush. I have been putting them on sandwiches all week and last night I draped a layer on my pizza. Mine aren’t all that brightly colored because the onions I got were pretty young, oblong shaped, purple onions that were essentially just white on the inside, but it you use darker red or purple onions expect your end result to be hot pink. Tangy and pretty. We like it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

PICKLED RED ONIONS
(from the New Moosewood Cookbook*)

4 medium red onions, very thinly sliced
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water
3 tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. whole peppercorns (I used black and pink)

Photobucket

Fill a tea kettle with water and bring to a boil. While the water is boiling thinly slice your onions. If you have a mandolin slicer this is an opportune time to use it (I used the thinnest setting possible). Place the sliced onions in a colander and pour all of the boiling water over, let drain completely.

Photobucket

Combine water, vinegar, sugar, salt and peppercorns in a bowl; add onions. Transfer the onions and pickling liquid to a large jar, or two medium sized jars. You can let them sit at room temperature for a few hours to “quick” pickle them if you want to use them that day, or store in the fridge until use. Delicious in sandwiches, on a burger, in salads, on pizza, or with a cheese and cracker spread.

Photobucket

Photobucket

*I can’t BELIEVE this is the first thing I’m making from this cookbook. I bought it in May and I spent the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend reading the whole thing like some chicks devour a Twilight book, excitedly dog earring along the way and taking time to read aloud certain recipes to my sister over the phone. Paul was like “I don’t understand how a person can read a cookbook like it’s a novel, you haven’t put that thing down all day.” I was like, “there’s a lot a things you don’t understand, Buster, and if you’ve got any smarts in your brain you’ll stop talking about my new favorite thing in that tone of voice.” I know the Moosewood is old news, but it’s seriously amazing. I mean it practically makes me violent. I adore it and I’ll be cooking from it for a long, long time. If you are into vegetables or a vegetarian you owe it to yourself to own this thing.

Photobucket

Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.