Monday, March 29, 2010

hot n fresh out the kitchen

Look what my family just removed from the oven.

Photobucket

Meet Vivian Inez. She was born just yesterday. Can you even imagine being that new? I have a lot of stuff to teach her about, mostly involving complex carbohydrates and how to make a proper cocktail. Viv is the fourth child of my brother and his wife. They are extremely good at making babies. Me, I'm good at making food. Who wants tabbouli?

QUINOA TABBOULI

Quinoa, is pronounced "KEEN WAH." Isn't that kind of obnoxious? I called it "ki noah" for about a year probably. Der. I had a hankering to make tabbouli but the store did not have any bulger wheat. But I did have some keen wah in my pantry, so I figured I would give it a go with that. It came out great. I highly recommend this substitution. I have no photos because the memory card reader for my borrowed camera isn't working (insert your favorite swear word here).

Prepare quinoa according to package directions. I upped the recommended amount from 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water by 1/2. So I made 1 1/2 cups quinoa with 3 cups water. Do not do this unless you are completely committed to eating tabbouli for the next month of your life. Just make the normal amount.

Next, chop up equal parts:

Diced purple onion
Cherry tomatoes, cut into halves or quarters
Freshly chopped mint and parsley

Once the quinoa is slightly cooled combine with the veggies and herbs. Use a lot of herbs. I used a generous amount of both mint and parsley and about 1 1/2 cups of diced tomatoes and onion. Dress with the juice from one lemon and a generous drizzle of olive oil. Salt and pepper. This is great over mixed greens with some feta and a dollop of good hummus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.