Wednesday, July 21, 2010

so about that pie

Last week, wait, two weeks ago? I vaguely referenced that I made a pie. An ice cream pie. With a crust that involved melted butter and crushed Oreos. I mentioned it once and then sidestepped right over it to sandwiches. That was rude of me. I can't remember how I stumbled across a recipe for Grasshopper Pie but when I saw it I quickly decided that it would be my dessert contribution to the 4th of July holiday weekend festivities. Easy, summery, super sweet and delicious; albeit, not the easiest thing to transport. This pie came together in a cinch and it went fast. So fast I didn't even get a good photo of it. It was melty and sweet. Mint ice cream isn't my favorite but the crust alone is worth the recipe. Next time I'm thinking strawberry.

Photobucket

I found this on a really excellent dessert site. Which I cannot recall the name of but I know it starts with an "L" and involves the word "culinary" or something. How's that for specific? Go to the Google and find it! I probably found the link through thekitchn.com, because that site is my ultimate link guru. The recipe itself annoyed me a little bit because it kept referred to Grasshopper Pie as a "white trash" recipe. I guess because the standard recipe is to simply purchase a pre-made chocolate crust, dump some softened ice cream in and refreeze it and call it a pie. And because things that are convenient are, apparently in foodie circles, "white trash" (and they used the quotations every time which made me be like either say it or don't but don't throw it in quotations like some abstract concept. Heck, I'd capitalize it). Meh. If there's one thing I hate it's food snobbery that jumps off the page. This particular recipe I read was like: "to class it up, make your own ice cream." And I was like "Why would I attempt to make something complicated in the middle of a gorgeous summer weekend when the fine folks at Brigham's have this covered?" So I opted for the partial White Trash method. Homemade crust, store bought ice cream. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go change the oil in my '83 Camaro, fluff my mullet and cut myself a new pair of jean shorts. Enjoy the pie.

Photobucket

GRASSHOPPER PIE

2 rows of Oreo cookies, with the filling scraped out
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
6 tbs. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 gallon good vanilla ice cream (I used Brigham's)
1/4 cup Creme de Menthe*

Place ice cream on counter to thaw out a bit. Pulse Oreos and chocolate chips in food processor, add melted butter and vanilla. Process until evenly incorporated. Press crumbs into a buttered pie dish, as evenly as you can, across the bottom and up the sides. For ease, you can butter your hands a bit, or use a piece of saran wrap under your fingers to preventing crumbs from sticking to them. Freeze crust.

Photobucket

Scoop softened ice cream into large mixing bowl, pour on Crème de Menthe. Mix well to combine using either a silicone spatula or hand mixer. Scrape ice cream out of the bowl into frozen crust, smoothing the top layer so it looks nice. Freeze until ready for serving. The original recipe said to let the pie thaw in the fridge for an hour before serving, but if you’re serving this in July, just pop it on the counter for a minute and start slicing before it all melts away. Serve topped with a drizzle of Hershey's Syrup or a dollop of lightly sweetened whip cream.

*I now have a leftover bottle of Crème de Menthe. I bet you good money that it gathers dust in my pantry for the next quarter century.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.