Wednesday, November 24, 2010

counting blessings, not calories

Photobucket

Gathering together to eat. This is the only thing we need to do to celebrate this holiday. If you can’t get behind that, well then, move along, there’s nothing for you here. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you that Thanksgiving pumps me up. It’s definitely in my Top Three Holidays, with the two other being, in no particular order: Halloween and 4th of July. Halloween because it’s a great excuse for me to get to wear some fake facial hair and/or spandex and 4th of July because der: fireworks and day drinking! But Thanksgiving is slightly more poignant. Gathering the people I love together for a meal is pretty much my favorite thing to do in the world (unless you count an On Demand marathon of Teen Mom) and taking the time out for recognition of the good things in our life just wakes up the touchy feely yoga teacher inside me.

Photobucket

As the crunch of the holidays with all of its insane consumer craziness, traffic and aggression bears down upon us, we take this one day to move slow. To cook a bird for hours and hours, to simmer gravy and drink wine, to sit and eat and talk and maybe even take a nap. It’s like the calm before the storm, a gathering place where we meet together and remember, if only for a brief, moment, that simply being together is what it’s all about.

Photobucket

So, having gotten totally Namaste on your asses, what’s cooking for tomorrow? If I were the kind of woman that had her eggs in a row and had made and photographed and blogged, I would have a Thanksgiving recipe for you. But we both know I am not that woman (and if I were, I probably wouldn’t be as much fun to hang out with). I am heading home after work to make the oh-so-classic Cheeseball appetizer (always a hit and super easy) and a Browned Butter Butterscotch Pie (makes a serious face). I will let you know how everything turns out.

Photobucket

Meanwhile I have peppered this post with a couple photos I took last weekend. I whipped up a batch of Homemade Cranberry Liqueur (which I wrote about here. Did I mention I am blogging sometimes for edible South Shore? Well I am. Isn’t that fun! Thanks to my good friend, Aja, who is their blog administrator now) which will be ready in time for Christmas and took a long walk. These photographs were taken on said walk. We live a mile and a half from the coolest spot, Nickerson Beach, where granite cliffs peppered with birch trees drop off into the Atlantic Ocean and there are sweeping views of the Boston skyline. It is a really neat spot to walk and I only get moderately scared that we are going to stumble upon some Goth teens performing devil worship out there. On the way back we saw hundreds of birds all gathered together on some power lines. I think they were just chilling out before continuing on their southbound flight path. I just love the look of them.

Photobucket

Lastly, because someone has always said it before, and have definitely said it better than I could, I will leave you with two cute quotes about Thanksgiving. The first is totally squishy and ladylike and the other is quirky and by a lady I like. Have a wonderful holiday and take the opportunity to employ my lifestyle motto: everything in moderation, including moderation.

xoxo, jess

Grace isn’t just a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It’s a way to live


unknown

What we're really talking about is a wonderful day set aside on the fourth Thursday of November when no one diets. I mean, why else would they call it Thanksgiving?


Erma Bombeck

Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.