Thursday, May 26, 2011

sunny weather menu scheming

Photobucket

You know when TV show writers go on vacation and as such your weekly episode ends up being a clip show? And the whole thing is kind of a rip off, because it’s not like it moves the narrative forward but at the same time, the familiarity is sort of just as enjoyable if not more as a regular episode? Welcome to my clip show.

Photobucket

Memorial Day weekend looms ahead and it’s officially meat eating season. Time to fill up the propane tank, dust off your jean cutoffs and pray to god you know someone with a deck (or even better a pool/ house within walking distance to the beach). We’re having a cookout on Sunday and as such I’ve been menu scheming oh, for the past two weeks.

Photobucket

So last year, I made some delicious slow cooker pulled pork, along with a spicy slaw and the only potato salad I will ever make. It was such a delicious and easy menu, that I’m basically doing it all again, but not the exact same way. I’m doing pulled pork again, but of a different breed. Instead of looking to the South of these United States, I’m going even further south to Me-HEE-co (said like Guillermo from Weeds). I’m going to make slow cooker carnitas, using this recipe found last summer. To accompany my carnitas, I’ll have another spicy slaw, maybe something like this, whip up a bunch of homemade guacamole because everyone loves guacamole (fact). IF I have time and am feeling ambitious, I might try to make a little fresh salsa. If time runs short, I will just buy some from the grocery store, keeping to my #1 stress free hostess rule: don’t be a hero. If I have time, I love to make stuff, so it doesn’t stress me out, per se, but if the last few hours before the party need to be running errands (read: icing down the hooch) than the salsa fresco will get the axe.

Photobucket

Oh, maybe I will get some pickled jalapenos going on.

Photobucket

I will once again have potato salad, because it seems sacrilege to have a cookout without it. And we’ll have grilled veggies, chicken and sausages from Dom’s in Malden (if you like to get your meat on- this place is THE place). There will be plenty of beer and wine and maybe a summery cocktail. I’m not decided just yet on what that will be but I’m thinking something citrus based, like blueberry vodka and fresh lemonade, bourbon lemonade on the rocks or the ever delicious Pimms cups.

Last year's wet bar spread:
Photobucket

Whatever you’re planning this weekend, I hope it’s fun and mostly sunny for you. If you’re attending or hosting a cookout/BBQ yourself, sprinkled throughout this post are some great summer dishes from the Porky archives. While compiling this list, I realized that a Recipe Index needs to happen on here, like yesterday. I promise I’ll get on that. And I’m not lying this time.

Photobucket

COOKOUT FOOD from Porky's Past:

If you're not into pickled jalapenos, maybe just straight up pickles?

Photobucket


Or these dynamite pickled cherry tomatoes?

Photobucket

Healthier side dishes are always welcome; like this pasta salad I made last July. This delicious, summery panzanella. Or either of these two whole grain salads. Which are both healthy alternatives to your typical pasta or potato based salad.

couscous6

These veggie burgers are yummy. But probably not sturdy enough to stand up to the grill. Just bring your skillet out onto the grill top.

Or if you're only hosting a few people and you want to make something nice. What about lobster salad?

Photobucket

Whatever you decide to take to your cookout, I hope you have a blast.

Photobucket

Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.