Friday, July 29, 2011

get up on this


Making this salad may have been the only publicly acceptable thing I did this week while left to my own devices. Paul has been away for work so I have fallen into crusty bachelorette mode. This involves a good deal of (a) eating while lying down; (b) watching Bridezillas in my underwear; and (c) sleeping diagonal across the bed (usually a and b happen simultaneously followed shortly thereafter by c). Though it has been a lazy and enjoyable enough week, I was thrilled to have him home last night, there are only so many days of sloth a gal can take without the habits starting to stick.


Though I’m generally not a fruit in salad kind of person, save for that one peach salad from a little while back, I have had the good old watermelon feta combo before and found it acceptable enough. I was “talking” to my friend the other day on chat and she was listing off this delicious salad that she had just eaten (because discussion of lunch comprises 70% of what we talk about, with the other 30% being made up of equal parts: sequins, Bel Biv Devoe and kitten videos). I realized that my very own lunch had all the same ingredients, with the only difference being that the watermelon was on the side, not in, my salad of arugula, avocado, corn and feta. So I cut a couple hunks up and added them to the mix, and my mind was blown. Now I’m completely hooked. This salad is textured, juicy and fresh and tastes so perfectly like summer you need to get up on this immediately.


Avocado, diced
Corn on the cob (2), kernels chopped off cobs and reserved
Watermelon chunks (3/4 cup)
2 Scallions, chopped (or chives or mint if that’s what you have)
Feta cheese, crumbled

Olive oil
Wedges of lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste

This is hardly a recipe so much as it is assembly. Combine arugula, avocado, corn, scallions, watermelon and feta, drizzle with a touch of olive oil. Salt and pepper well, toss together gently; serve with a lemon wedge for squeezing over. Make this salad now.


Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.